OpenOffice and bookprinting

Anders anders.wallenquist at kreawit.se
Thu Sep 1 07:17:38 UTC 2005

tis 2005-08-30 klockan 11:32 +0100 skrev Paul Sladen:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Anders Wallenquist wrote:
>
> Hello Anders
>
> Excellent Project!

Thank you!

> > Does any one has the *experience of OpenOffice and* bookprint? What to
> > think of etc or should I reconcider Scribus and PDF/X-3 or something else?
>
> At the moment you're pretty much limited to /exporting/ to PDF as neither of
> the import options are particularly brilliant.  You may find it better to do
> some of the sections in OOo for the body of the text and then specific
> areas (eg. layout specific sections) in Scribus.

Doesn't I break table of content and running headers/footers when I put
sections in Scribus? I belive I have to use the same system for all text
and maybe another for cover.

There are three export options in OO for PDF where i think print are the
"best". Is it possible to run other cleaning utilities (eg psutils,
pdf2pdf) on the exported PDF to make it more "printable"?

I have checked one pdf-test-export at a printshop, they had not the
skill to tell me the specifikation of the pdf they wanted (pdf
1.3/1.4/X-3 etc) but their "flightcheck" complainded about lack of color
schemes in the PDF.

Are there any fligthcheck-programs in the open world?

> And maybe the cover-matter in Inkscape (Vector package);  export the whole
> lot as PDF files and order it together using PDFLatex/pdftk/pdfjam to give
> you a PDF for the whole lot;  the printer can then take this from there and
> you can feel good!  :)

The cover is not printed at the same time as the body of the book, so
concatenateing pdfs will not be an issue. Where talking of bookprint not
digital print.

> It's even possible to do some level of layup and produce printers-spreads
> using pdflatex to arrange/combine the pages...  If you need it to happen we
> can probably make it happen.

Martin: If I use Latex instead of OO/Scribus does I get better and
flightcheck-ready PDF?

/Anders