OpenOffice 2.0 - Manual Installation

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Oct 31 09:39:58 UTC 2005

On 10/31/2005 12:11 AM, Alfred Vahau wrote:

> With a bit more searching, I manage to zero in on the executable. To
> fire up oo2.0, the executable was soffice.bin found in my case in
> /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.bin
>
> I'm going to make symlinks to the files as well as put it on system
> menu on the desktop.
>
> Just for information on those who might be interested in the manual
> installation, the steps are:
>
> 1. Download openoffice2.0
> 2. Unpack the rpm files into a temporary directory
> 3. Run the alien command to change the rpms to deb packages: alien *rpm
> 4. Install the deb packages: dpkg -i *deb
> 5. Change to the root directory and find where soffice.bin is
> installed on your system
>
> cd /; find . -name "soffice" -print
>
> 6. Change to the directory and issue the command ./soffice.bin to fire
> up oo2.0
>
> That's about it.
>
> Add symlinks or the path to the executables to suit you.
>
> Alfred,
>

> Alfred,
>

> Alfred Vahau wrote:
>
>> This is strange. /usr/bin/openoffice.org-2.0 does not exist and I've
>> manually scanned that directory to confirm.
>>
>> Going into the root directory / I issued
>>
>> find . -name "openoffice.org*" -print
>>
>> and this returns all paths with openoffice.org in then but there is
>> nothing to suggest an executable file that can fire up openoffice2.0.
>>
>> I will continue the search for the executable.
>>
>> Where are the executables stored in the absence of a traditional
>> install via confgure, make, make install?
>>
>> Alfred,
>>

>> Ryan Escarez wrote:

>>>a symlink is probably the issue here. trying this might help
>>>
>>>$ openoffice.org-2.0
>>>
>>>or
>>>
>>>$ /usr/bin/openoffice.org-2.0
>>>

>>>for the first time you run this, a wizard will appear.
>>>

>>>hth!

Do you get the GNOME and KDE integration that the Ubuntu packages
provide? I've heard you did not, which is why I chose not to download
from OpenOffice.org. The packages I got yesterday from Ubuntu work
beautifully (so far).

---
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com
© 2005 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved