Partition Help - Breezy and XP on HP laptop

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 04:34:35 UTC 2005

BBBB wrote:
> I would like to install Breezy as dual boot w/XP on an HP zv6270us laptop.
> This is a single 100GB drive, formatted NTFS with XP installed.
> a couple of questions:
>
> Some how-tos install grub to the mbr, others say this is a bad idea, and it
> should be installed on
> the Linux partition. Any comments here?
>
> I have read that my swap partition should be 2X the size of my ram. This
> would be a 2Gig partition.
> Does this sound right?
>
> I would like to put my /home directory on a separate partition. If I name it
> /home when it is
> partitioned, will Ubuntu know what it is for, or will I need to change a
> config file so Ubuntu will
> use it properly?
>
> If this was your 100GB drive, how would you divide it for this setup?

Assuming that you would like to us both windows and linux equally.

40GB   NTFS  for windows C:
30GB   FAT   for windows D: and also act as a mechanism for sharing
               files between windows and linux.
128MB  ext2  for /boot
1GB    swap  for swap
5GB    ext3  for /
rest   ext3  for /home

A better way would be to use LVM. As it will allow you to resize your
filesystems based on your needs. Using LVM:
40GB   NTFS  for windows C:
30GB   FAT   for windows D: and also act as a mechanism for sharing
               files between windows and linux.
128MB  ext2  for /boot
rest   LVM

Then LVM setup create a logical volume group, e.g "main" using the space
you allocated. Now, think of main as a virtual hard disk, then divide it
into logical volumes(virtual partitions).
1GB   volume name: swap
5GB   volume name: root
rest  volume name: home

Then, go back to breezy disk partitioner and you can see that logical
volumes you just created. For example, the 5GB volume would show up as
main-root.Now treat each of the volume as you would a normal physical
partition. You can choose whatever filesystem suits you and mount it as
you wish.

Ok, LVM might be a bit OTT for a beginner. But its all a good learning
experience. Its time we took matters in to our own hands and make our
own rules ;-)

> Also, if you have installed Ubuntu on an HP zv6000us series laptop, any
> insights are welcome.
linuxonlaptop and tuxmobil websites might have some info.

> Thanks for a GREAT list.
You are welcome :D

> Bradley

Regards,