C++ compiler cannot create executables.

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 30 20:44:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:40:41 +0200 (CEST)
Irantzu Bores Pascual <iborespascual at yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've got the following error
> a program. How can I fix it?
>
> This is what I obtain:
>
> root at ubuntu:/usr/mp3blaster-3.2.0# ./configure
> checking for a BSD compatible install...
> /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal-1.4... missing
> checking for working autoconf... found
> checking for working automake-1.4... missing
> checking for working autoheader... found
> checking for working makeinfo... missing
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
> cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration
> problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.
>
> Thanks

sudo apt-get install build-essential

You say "each time I try to instal a program" - you do realise there are about 17 000 programs available in the Synaptic package manager or through apt-get, right? The only time you need to compile is when you can't find it in the packages.

Peter

--

Linux User #343161