sudo not working at all

Richard Robson Richard.Robson at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 25 18:07:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 12:05 -0400, Scott J. Henson wrote:

> Jack Bowling wrote:
> > It was the latter. I had a stealth sudo hiding in /usr/local/bin. No
> > idea where that one came from. Nuked it and all is well with the world.
> > Thanks for the heads up.

> Also, you should check your path.  It should have /bin and /usr/bin at
> the front(potentially /sbin and /usr/sbin should be in front of them).
> This will cause bash to look in those places first, thus making sure
> rogue copies of binaries can't fool you into putting in your password.

/usr/local/bin and sbin is in the path first by default by many distros,
mainly so you can override default commands with your own if wished.
The permissions on these directories should be secure so only root can
write to them though.   It's the current directory that shouldn't be in
your path at the beginning, and it's best not to have it in the path at
all.