iMac Resolution Issue

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 03:55:58 UTC 2005

> Regarding the version of iMac, it is a G3 233, I don't see a version; It
> is a tray loading model.

It's a "Bondi blue iMac G3/233" (aka iMac Rev A). You have the very
first of the "New World" Macs ever produced. For the time it was an
amazing machine (given that it was targeted at the consumer market).

> Basically, I put 1024x768 and 800x600 at all screen depths and only
> 800x600 in the 24 depth.
>
> I also set the default depth to 16.
>
> It is now booting and X is starting in 1024x768.  I am not able to
> change the resolution in the Gnome GUI, but I don't care.  I'm happy
> with 1024x768 at 16.

:-) Glad it worked!!!

As for switching resolutions in Gnome, I believe that there is a key
combo that cycles through different resolutions (ctrl-alt-Plus or
Minus). There may be an application to do so now without having to
remember arcane keycombos... it was (maybe still is) a *major*
oversight in past versions of GNOME/KDE.

Eric.