iMac Resolution Issue

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Oct 29 22:36:25 UTC 2005

Regarding the version of iMac, it is a G3 233, I don't see a version; It
is a tray loading model.

Regarding xorg.conf, I'm quite comfortable editing that file, I've
played with that file a lot before.  I've put all sorts of settings in
there for different resolutions at different depths with no luck.  It
keeps going to the 512x384.

So, what I did was put in the settings as follows:

Section "Screen"

Identifier      "Default Screen"

Device          "ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage IIC 215IIC
(Mach64 GT IIC)"

Monitor         "iMac"

DefaultDepth    16

SubSection "Display"

Depth           1

Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth           4

Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth           8

Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth           15

Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth           16

Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth           24

Modes           "800x600"

EndSubSection

EndSection

Basically, I put 1024x768 and 800x600 at all screen depths and only
800x600 in the 24 depth.

I also set the default depth to 16.

It is now booting and X is starting in 1024x768.  I am not able to
change the resolution in the Gnome GUI, but I don't care.  I'm happy
with 1024x768 at 16.

Thanks for all your help!

Mike K.

--