Breezy upgrade, CPUFreq problem

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 01:55:32 UTC 2005

Since I upgraded to breezy my CPU's frequency modulation stopped
working. powernowd complained that it couldn't find any devices. So I
checked the '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/', there were no sub-folders
like before.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop with a desktop P4 processor.
After a lot googling, I mod probed p4-clockmod and restarted powernowd.
Now, my CPU Freq scaled down from 2.66GHz to 2.33GHz and that's about
it. It doesn't scale down any more even though the processor usage is
around 5%. When I
'cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies'
I  get
   2333275 2666600

So, there is nothing wrong with powernowd, as it is going for the lowest
possible frequency 2.33GHz. So there must be something wrong with the
scaling_driver 'p4-clockmod'. Any ideas Anyone.

  - Saru