FluxBox install

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 29 11:17:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:57:58 +0200
Oscar <monotux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
> AA <asokanon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I have a slightly older, slightly slower pc
> > that is running ubuntu.  I am wondering if it is
> > possible to install/replace gnome with fluxbox as the
> > window manager?  Can I just do an apt-get install
> > fluxbox, or use synaptic or something?
> > Thanks in advance,
> > SMH
>
> Fluxbox uses more RAM than metacity.
>
> If you want something really cheap on RAM, use fvwm (not even my eyecandy overflowed fvwm desktop uses more than 1% RAM), but fvwm might be a bit tough to setup when you aren't used to it :)

Ah, but I *think* he means to replace *all* of gnome, not just metacity!
In that case , fluxbox is definitely lighter than metacity+gnome.

No doubt fvwm would be even lighter, of course - it depends how much configuration he wants/ is capable of doing.
Fluxbox should pretty much work "out of the box" [ yes, i know fvwm does too, but it's definitely less friendly on first meeting ;)  ]

Peter

--

Linux User #343161