Good Chess Game

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 02:47:27 UTC 2005

On 10/28/05, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes at mcaschool.net> wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> I am looking for a good chess game for UBUNTU -- I installed all the
> ones that I could find in synaptic, but they don't show up in the menus,
> and I don't know how to start them. I would like to be able to play
> against the computer
>
> I installed some chess games for someone that wanted to play against the
computer. I thought the best looking interface was xboard, which I believe
is a front-end for gnu-chess.

"smeg" is a Simple Menu Editor for Gnome. If you install it, then "killall
gnome-panel" it should show up in your menu. You can then use this to add
applications to the menu. If you can't wait, then you can add a launcher to
the desktop or "task bar" by right-clicking and following the directions.
The games should be in /usr/games, I'm pretty sure.

The linux desktop is getting so slick now that I was a little disappointed
that some of the games had no icons. Here are some that I made (shrunk):

http://kimbriggs.com/images/gpl/

Save the picture to /usr/share/pixmaps and it should come up as the default
folder under gnome when you want to change the generic icon for a launcher.

[If you are the developer of these images and you don't want them put up in
this way let me know and I'll remove them].

Have fun,
http://kimbriggs.com