web photo gallery builders in Gnome?

Dan Martin volume at dmartin.org
Fri Oct 28 19:25:55 UTC 2005

> Thanks so much for your help -- that solved it, and Jalbum is
> now installing.
>
> Could you please explain what I just did?  I have seen the
> export command, but I don't think that I have ever used it before

A great question to ask.  It's easy to type what you are told, but to gain
experience, you must understand what you are typing.

export is a command to set environment variables.  If you type "set" you
will see a list of all your current environment variables and their values.

So lets go through this:

   export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/

This set the JAVA_HOME, which is used by the JVM and many Java applications.

   export PATH=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin:$PATH

$PATH represents the current value of PATH.  You can see for youself if you
type "echo $PATH".  So the command I had you type prepended
"/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin" to your current PATH setting.

Before setting the path, when you typed "java", the "java" command at
/usr/bin/java was found (which is the Gnu Classpath java).  After setting
the PATH, the "java" at /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin/java is found (which is
Sun java).

Hope that clears it up.

-Dan