printer problems

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 28 07:54:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:32:58 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
"KC1DI" <elbc2 at pivot.net> wrote:

K> Hi Larry ,
K> Mine used to work in 5.04 also but when I Upgraded to 5.10 it will
K> not longer work.
K> I've done the set up several times Cups recognizes the printer just
K> fine suggest the drive which is installed and when you send a
K> document to the printer que it show up in the printer Icon. but never
K> prints then just disappears.

I had a similar problem, I think the permissions and/or group assigments
are screwed up -- when I changed the permissions of /dev/usb/lp0 to
rw-rw-rw- the  queued jobs promptly appeared. (Probably not the correct
fix, I think the real problem is that there is an lp/lpadmin group
misassignment somewhere -- maybe someone else on this list can give the
correct answer).

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |