lspci on dualhead VGA cards

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu Oct 27 17:18:11 UTC 2005

Liam Proven wrote:

>On 26/10/05, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans at geograph.co.za> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I'd like to know which dualhead VGA cards actually come up as 2 seperate
>>PCI devices (before I make my purchase).
>>

>Cannot directly answer, but I can give you some possibly-helpful info.
>
>Matrox cards are the best for doing dual-head on all-PCI machines. It
>was a design feature of them from 10yr ago or more. I have run
>dual-head Matrox PCI machines with WinNT, Win98 and Linux - and it
>even worked in OS/2 in theory. (Of course, in W2K/XP it's very easy
>and these OSs can do it with virtually any combination of cards.)
>
>However, if Matrox did offer dual-head single cards, I don't know of
>them and they were expensive.

Hi Liam,
Thanks for this.
I want to set up multiple independant users on 1 PC (ie: 4 * monitors, 4
* Kyb & Mice, all connected to 1 M/B - just like the HP441 solution).
This is achievable (more) easily on Debian or Ubuntu as the version of
xorg delivered with those distros can handle it via the "Protocol evdev".
(one of) The issue is that the dual-head VGA cards must come up as
seperate devices on the PCI bus, so I want to know which ones do.
I also don't want to have 4 cards in the machine, but rather buy a M/B
with 2 PCIe x16 slots and put 2 * 2-head cards into those slots, to get
the 4 monitor setup I want.(ie independant, *not* Xinerama)
Hence my original question.

But! - you did remind me of Matrox so if anyone out there is using
Matrox cards, please do an lspci for me.

Thanks,
Zoltan

--

Geograph (Pty) Ltd