Can I use more recent versions of applications than what is in the repositories?

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:52:41 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> You can hardly complain that Ubuntu doesn't carry recent enough versions
> when you're using an (at least) six month old release.  And I take back the
> previous comment - it still _should_ work to update every package
> dependency one at a time, but because you're talking about pre-breezy
> stuff, there's a big libc6 upgrade in there which has a possibility to
> break pretty well everything.
>
> You'd do much better to just install Breezy.  I don't know why you'd think
> that Breezy will break things but Dapper would be alright.  There's no
> reason you should have any "issues" upgrading to Breezy
> --
> derek

Decisions, decisions... :-)

Thanks for your detailed response. I might try the package-upgrading
route first, and then if it breaks stuff, I'll install a new Breezy!

Than again, maybe I'll just try the distro upgrade to Breezy... can't
decide! :-)

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org