Can I use more recent versions of applications than what is in the repositories?

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:31:10 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> It's always your option to skip the .debs and build any app from the
> tarball.
> --
> derek

Just for my clarification, I am trying to install the latest gnumeric
on Hoary... I've downloaded the source and when I type ./configure, it
mentions a list of packages that are not the version it requires. If I
understand what you said, can I just write down all the packages that
it needs, download source for them, install/upgrade them one at a
time, and then eventually get back to installing gnumeric and it
SHOULD work?

I think I understand (vaguely) the concept of dependencies, but I have
not really messed around with software other than using synaptic and
apt-get to install packages from the repositories.

Just a disclaimer... I do not intend to upgrade the distro to Breezy
right now anyway (as from what I've heard, if I do the aforementioned,
I might have some issues). I intend to install a fresh Dapper Drake
when that is out next year... :-)

Thanks for any help.

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org