network cards won't connect

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Thu Oct 27 03:35:28 UTC 2005

Bjørn Ingmar Berg said the following on 10/25/2005 4:53 AM:

>On 25/10/05, Alex Janssen <alex at ourwoods.org> wrote:
>

>>Check the chart at
>>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCards
>>The 650+ is listed.
>>

>Yes, I know.  I guess you are implying that since the card is listed
>it has to work.
>My conclusion is that the list is wrong or not precise enough.  Under
>Ubuntu 5.10
>on my IBM thinkpad R40e the card DOES NOT work.
>To be fair, it didn't work out with SUSE 9.3 either, so now I've
>installed the Redmond
>alternative OS and stopped dual-booting this machine.  After all -as
>unfortunate as
>it may seem- it's more important to me that I can use the machine than running
>the right OS.
>

>Regards,
>Bjørn Ingmar Berg
>
>--
>ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!
>
>Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben.
>Ist easy droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone
>mit der spammen und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei
>das dumpkopfen! Das mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin
>hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.

I hear ya.  A lot of people I know don't care what the OS is as long as
they can do their work.  If the HW manufacturers would jump in here and
give Linux some more support I think there would be more widespread use
of it.  I certainly understand why you would go back to the Redmond OS.
I guess I was just luckier with my HW.

Did you post a bug report or look to see if one had been posted for your
network HW?

Best,
Alex

--