breezy: XKB config error on startup, keymap settings wrong

David M lists2006 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Wed Oct 26 21:41:25 UTC 2005

N Chosechu wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
 about: Re: breezy: XKB config error on startup, keymap settings wrong

>> Selecting the "US English" keyboard as the default (with a compose key
>> set up) seems to have done the trick: I can now type ' and " as normal,
>> and can compose extended characters using the compose key.
>> (So I'm not really sure what exactly is "international" about the
>> so-called 'international' keyboard..?)
>

> How did you get the standard US keyboard to compose extended characters???
> I want to know! Describe what you mention as "a compose key setup"?

Just like I said.. :-)

I added "US English" in GNOME keyboard properties for a second time, so
that there were two entries: the "US English international (with dead keys)"
from the first time, and this new entry which appeared only as "US English".

I then assigned a key as the 'compose key' in the "Layout Options" tab,
under "Compose key position".

Then close the preferences window and It Just Works. :)

To use the compose key, I press (and release) the compose key, then
individually press (and release) the two composing characters.

eg: <compose> + a + ` = à		(et voilà! :-)

>> ..and I still have no idea what keys to press to type the euro symbol! :-(
>
> What I have done so far is switch to US-intl or french temporarily, type
> Alt-Gr + e,
> switch back to US. There must be an easier way to do it.

Doesn't seem to work for me. :-(

<ralt> seems to work as (another) <compose> for me under the
"US English" keymap (even though I haven't asked it to?!), and neither
(I get an angry flash if I try <compose> + char + char, and nothing
obvious seems to happen if I try <ralt>+e)

I wonder if further magic is needed somewhere to get the system to
recognise <ralt> as <alt-gr>..?

> Talking about international characters: I always have trouble finding fonts
> that cover iso-8859-15 correctly. What are you using?

To be honest, it's more of a hypothetical query on my part than a real
one, as I don't often need to type <EUR>, but it would be nice to know
that these things work :-)

When creating webpages, € always seems to do the necessary, and
when using a word processor, I'm not aware of problems in the fonts I
tend to use (but I've cheated and pasted in the <EUR> from the character
map as I've had no success in typing it). I would have thought that any
_decent_ font created relatively recently (unless it's a less-professional
one from one of those "1 000 000 Fonts" CDs) will have the euro symbol
(and I would hope the few other amended letters in ISO-8859-15, but I've
not had need to use those!).

David.

--
--|  David M. -- [en, fr, (de)] --  |  reply-to email is valid <365d,  |
--|  Edinburgh, Scotland.           |  but reply-to-list preferred     |