Playing mp3 in Rhythmbox

Tim Littlemore tim at tjl2.com
Wed Oct 26 14:33:37 UTC 2005

Anurag wrote:

> hi,
> can anybody help  me out that how to configure this rhythmbox to play
> mp3 files....Now I have installed the Package mpg321 but it works on
> command line only...
> Though I have installed mp3blaster like small text utilities to play
> songs....But How to play mp3 files in Rhythmbox....
>
> --
> Anurag

Your question was already answered by James Livingstone, earlier in this
thread:

Rhythmbox uses gstreamer to play tracks, so you need to install the
package "gstreamer0.8-mad".

After you have installed that, run gst-register-0.8 to register that gstreamer plugin. You should then be able to play MP3s in ryhtmbox.

Tim