I just don't get it !

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Wed Oct 26 13:19:51 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 26.10.2005, 02:30 +0300 schrieb ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:46 -0400, Eric Devost wrote:
> > That didn't do it. Maybe it's gnucash related problem. I can't find
> > any thread or help on that on the gnucash mailing list/site. But why
> > is it running fine on hoary and not on Breezy ? That's why I think
> > it's distro related.
> That's weird!  It did work on my Breezy system and I can select
> Helvetica from the font selector in a lot of applications.
>
> Remember, "gnucash" still uses the old GTK+ library (version 1.2)!  So
> it doesn't support "FontConfig" (and for that reason it failed to make a
> different for you).
>
> My advice for you is to make sure that Helvetica is installed on your
> system.  Do the above trick (that I mentioned), and try selecting
> Helvetica (say from "System" --> "Preferences" --> "Font").  If it's not
> there then your problem is simply the font is missing from your system
> all together.
>

> > Anyway thanx a lot for helping. I really appreciate it.
> >
> > Eric,
> You're welcome.
> Ziyad.

this really is odd. on a system that was warty>hoary>breezy'ed,
helvetica was there. on a clean breezy, i too cannot find helvetica
anywhere.

searching in apt i found 'type1inst' wich says:
***
Install Adobe Type 1 fonts into X11 and Ghostscript
type1inst is a small perl script which generates the "fonts.scale"
file required by an X11 server to use any Type 1 PostScript fonts
which exist in a particular directory.  It gathers this information
from the font files themselves, a task which previously was done by
hand.  The script is also capable of generating the similar "Fontmap"
file used by ghostscript.  It can also generate sample sheets for the
fonts.

The xutils package contains a utility called makepsres, which creates
output in a different format but which may nevertheless be more useful.
***

but i didn't dare to try ;)

ulrich