Copying data from NTFS drive

Charles Malespin charles.malespin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 22:04:05 UTC 2005

> It may be true that you can only read from NTFS partitions,
> not write to them, but fortunately all you want to do here
> is read from them. Here's what you want to do:
>
> 1) Attach the old drive to your machine somehow. It should
>    be auto-mounted, such that when you look in dmesg you see
>    something like '/dev/hda' or '/dev/sda'.
>
> 2) Create a mount point for your Windows partition. I
>    recommend putting it in /mnt -- e.g.,
>
>    sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
>
> 3) Do an fstab on the drive you found in step 1, to see
>    which specific partition is the NTFS one:
>
>    sudo fstab -l /dev/hda
>
>    (for instance)
>
> 4) Mount the partition to the mount point you created:
>
>    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
>
>    (for instance)
>
> See if that does the trick for you.

Ok.... I managed to mount the drive and access the linux part fine and
take all the data I needed off of that.  When  I got to the windows part
I could only access it using su -   not sudo.  SO I was root the whole
time and I transfered all the files over fine(all was music etc).  But
now I cant use any of the music cause it all belongs to the root
user....  Am I goign to have to manually go and rechange the permissions
for all of this stuff, and if so how do I do it?  I didnt realize this
until I had already transfered most of the data over, so its all been
divided into genre folders in my music so this will be a pain to sort
through each song manually.  Any ideas?