sftp/ftp proxy

David Strauss ubuntu at david.endeavorcomputing.com
Tue Oct 25 21:07:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 11:46 -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> I want to use (and recommend to some beginner level friends) nvu (web site editor,
> kinda like DreamWeaver), but the server we all use uses sftp, and nvu's built in
> site manager uses ftp.
>
> Current status of sftp support: http://forum.nvudev.org/viewtopic.php?t=440
>
> We could save to the local drive, then use an sftp client, but that is A) harder
> and B) gets rid of the "site management" feature which makes A even extra harder.
>
> I found this for Win: http://www.bitvise.com/ftp-bridge.html wondering if anyone
> knows of how do do something similar in Linux.
>
> Or I need someone to add sftp support to nvu and make 10's of dollars.
> http://cvs.nvu.com/download/nvu-1.0-sources.tar.bz2
> Current ftp code: mozilla/netwerk/protocol/ftp/src/nsFtpConnectionThread.cpp
>
> ^Carl Karsten

I solved this problem (and others) for myself by using CVS over SSH. I
have a button on my GNOME bar that updates CVS from a local directory
and runs an SSH command remotely to pull the latest CVS copy into the
httpd directory.

This means:
1. I only transfer changed files.
2. I get revision management.