startup services

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Tue Oct 25 16:37:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 05:09:54PM +0100, Dave S wrote:
> Some of them I know I do not need I know I can delve into
> /etc/init.d/.... to rename some services with for example a '_' before
> the name to disable them but is there a nice kde front end for this ?

Easiest way is probably to install rcconf:

sudo apt-get install rcconf

Then run 'sudo rcconf' and clear the boxes next to those
services you want to disable.

Package: rcconf
Section: universe/admin
Installed-Size: 112
Maintainer: Atsushi KAMOSHIDA <kamop at debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.12
Depends: whiptail | whiptail-provider | dialog, sysv-rc, perl, perl-modules
Conflicts: file-rc
Filename: pool/universe/r/rcconf/rcconf_1.12_all.deb
Size: 17474
MD5sum: 6c5faddf1d4d6339bf45e8f63839baba
 This tool configures system services in connection with system
 runlevels.  It turns on/off services using the scripts in
 /etc/init.d/.  Rcconf works with System-V style runlevel configuration.
 It is a TUI(Text User Interface) frontend to the update-rc.d command.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

--
Stephen R. Laniel