Potentially new user

alex radsky at ncia.net
Tue Oct 25 16:32:31 UTC 2005

Brian Dotson wrote:

> On 9/4/05, *forgotten one* <namelesssoldier at hotmail.com
> <mailto:namelesssoldier at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     First off, hi everyone.
>
>     Here's my situation, I am at best a moderately knowledgeable
>     Windows user
>     (XP) with a relatively new desktop PC and would like to know how
>     to install
>     Linux on my system.
>
>     As I stated I'm no tech genius so I don't even know how to
>     partition a disk,
>     but i know i want to keep windows.  Linux is a long standing
>     curiosity of
>     mine and I would like to move away from Mr. Gates' monopoly of
>     media.  So if
>     any one could offer assistance with partitioning that would be
>     peachy.
>
>     As for an Ubuntu related question, I read the Installation Wiki,
>     but was
>     unclear of whether I need to download Ubuntu and find another
>     source of
>     Linux or whether Ubuntu would be the core.  (I know it's a dumb
>     question,
>     but I have to ask.)
>
>     Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can offer.
>
>     Shannon Groves
>

> Ubuntu has everything you will need for a desktop; it's an entire
> package like XP. No need to use anything extra with it.
>
> As for partitioning, I suggest you use Partition Magic. It will let
> you keep Windows and Ubuntu on the same hard disk. Ubuntu will handle
> the rest, allowing you to dual boot.
>
> --
> Brian W. Dotson
> GPG Key: http://bdotson.us/pubkey.asc

One thing to keep in mind......You probably want to keep your current Windows data so, first, determine if your C: partition occupies the entire hard drive  If it does, DO A COMPLETE DEFRAGMENTATION several times.  After defragmentation, check how much data is stored in the C: partition so you can make an educated guess how big the new C: should be.

This compacts all your hard drive data to one end of the C: partition
leaving empty space for creating additional  partitions.

When I first got this computer, the C: partition occupied the entire
hard drive and Windows XP data was scattered  throughout the 120 GB.
After doing a DEFRAG several times, all
the XP data was compacted to 6 GB at the beginning of the C: partition.

I then ran a partitioner (Ranish Partition Manager--freebie) and set the
upper limit of the C: partition.at 12 GB, leaving over 100 GB free.. I
then created a few Linux partitions with the same Partition Manager but
since many Linux distributions, including UBUNTU have their
own partitioner,  I now recommend the latter.

As for what size partition to use for UBUNTU,  I'd say  its  a personal
choice.  Some  may
say, the entire remaining HD space but practically, only a few GB, say 3
or 4 GB for the root partition will well serve most beginners.  And,
nothing says you can't have two UBUNTU's installed, one in a 3 or 4 GB
plus another in a much larger partition.   500 MB is plenty for a swap
partition.

Good luck.

alex