Attempt to install and start Apache, PHP, MySQL descending into chaos

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Tue Oct 25 15:03:31 UTC 2005

Ubuntu Users,

	I have been making web sites with MySQL and PHP for years, but this is
a first attempt to have MySQL, PHP, and Apache running on my local
machine for testing purposes. And before I say anything else, I am a
newbie when it comes to Ubuntu/Linux.
	Of course, I searched the web for instructions on how to install and
start these applications. But with each step, I'm less sure I'm doing
the right thing.
	I think what I have successfully done is install Apache 2, PHP 4.4,
MySQL 4.1, and phpMyAdmin 6.5 by using apt-get. I opted for these
versions because they are the versions in use on my web site host
server.
	I *think* I successfully set up a root password for MySQL with the
following command:
dave at ubuntu1:~$ mysqladmin -u root password "password"
(Of course, I didn't actually use "password" as my password)

	So I think I have everything installed, and all I need to do is start
the services. I tried the following:
dave at ubuntu1:~$ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/apache2
dave at ubuntu1:~$ /etc/init.d/apache2 start
 * Starting web server (Apache2)... (13)Permission denied: make_sock:
could not bind to address [::]:80
Unable to open logs

	That didn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?
	And, unless I'm mistaken, this will only start Apache for the current
session. I'd like to have Apache and MySQL running all the time.

	Surely it's just a simple command line to do that?

--
Dave M G