Breezy Installation (partitioning)

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Tue Oct 25 14:15:28 UTC 2005

Mario Splivalo wrote:
| On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 11:55 +0200, R.L.Reingard wrote:
|
|>Hi,
|>who does know how to make partitions at installation in a way that '/'
is
|>one and '/home' is another?
|>a year ago when installing Warty i somehow came to an option like
'Desktop
|>Installation' which automatically made 2 partitions. one for '/' and one
|>for '/home'.
|>when checking out this again for a Breezy Installation, i did not find
the
|>way again to achieve that.
|>regards,
|>René
|

| If you're gonna be installing Breezy on laptop, or on machine where
| you'll be only user, or the number of active users won't go over integer
| of 3, it's wise to have just one partition on disk. It's much easier to
| cope with free space that way. Of course, you have to be carefull not to
| fill the disk up to it's limit.
|
| I found that having seperate partitions for /var, /home, /, is just a
| drag. Because, you soon run out of space on, for instance, /var, and you
| have more than 20 gigs free on /home. How to switch that space to var
| when needed?
|
| 	Mike

On the other hand, I am a big fan of having separate partitions for /
and /home.  It make things much easier when reinstalling a new
distribution or even an upgrade to your current distribution.  For
instance, I am using Hoary right now.  I will install (not upgrade to)
Breezy in a week or two.  When I am done, I will still have all my files
and data in the /home partition.

To avoid running out of space, take a look at the Partition Howto:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Partition.html

HTH,
Ed
- --
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?  -  Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)