more PCMCIA network ugliness

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 24 20:20:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 11:13:09AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> I've justi nstalled ubuntu on a laptop (IBM thinkpad 600E) -- this is
> a lightweight system and will eventuallyrun xfce, but for now I've got
> the default ubuntu-desktop up.  Installation went fine exceptthatthe
> network simply won't configure. I have tried 2 ethernet cards (an IBM
> Etherjet 10/100, and a 3Com 10mbit ).  I've used the latter before
> with no problems on another laptop.  I've also tried using a d-link
> air-plus DWL-650+ WiFi card .

still working on this... I've verified that both the ethernet cards
work perfectly on this machine under knoppix; one of them (the 3com)
is also detected perfectly by the stock debian-installer as used in
the weekly etch install cd's (the other has the same issue as in
ubuntu -- dhclient doesn't recognize the incoming dhcpoffer & so
fails; manual cpnfiguration succeeds but most packets are lost).

so I think this is a bug in the ubuntu version of the
installer, also maybe in the vanilla debian version.  But I'm not sure
how to diagnose further, nor exactly where to report this if this is a
bug.  So I guess my questions:

- anyone know hwere to report a bug on the installation process?
- anyone know how to (a) figure out what tr5icks knoppix uses to
autoconfigure the network, and somehow import those to a ubuntu
system; or (b) install knoppix and move to ubuntu?

thanks much,

matt