making boot from previous internal drive now external work

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Mon Oct 24 17:53:01 UTC 2005

You definitely posted as a reply to an unrelated question. This is a
relatively easy problem to solve and there are people with much more
expertise than me. Basically what you need to do is figure out what
device your "caddy" ends up on. If it is a usb device my guess is
/dev/sda(1..9). If it is a standard ata connection then it will probably
be /dev/hd(a..d). You could boot a live cd to figure that out, or from
windows determine where the device shows up. USB, its as I said before.
If it is ata, then primary master -> /dev/hda, primary slave ->
/dev/hdb, etc.

Then you need to get access to the disk itself, probably from a live cd
and edt /boot/grub/menu.lst. Inside you will find references like this:

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-k7-smp
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-k7-smp root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-k7-smp
savedefault
boot

You will notice there are two different root references, one is the root
line, one is within the kernel line. The kernel line needs to be updated
with the device name I just referenced. The root line uses the grub
device name format, which I havent played with in about a year, so I
can't tell you the exact answer, but it is pretty straight forward. I am
pretty sure a quick google search, or someone else on this list can
answer that.

Matt