network cards won't connect

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 23 18:22:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 06:36:37PM +0100, Tony Ayre wrote:

> ok, modify htis.  If I set up a static configutation, and sit and let
> ping run for long enough (at least 5 minutes) I will get an
> intermittent transmission success.  Over 90% packet loss, though, and
> not a hgh enough rate to establish an ssh connection, run apt-get
> update, or find a web page in any browser.
>
> I have no idea whatthis means, but maybe someone outthere does?
>

> I would say check your network cable. Also check that you aren't giving the
> computer an IP address that another machine has.

ok, I'm using a network cable that works fine from another machine
(the one I'm writing from, actually).  the ip address is not assigned
to anyone else.

> When you ping, do you ping a domain or an IP?

I have only used IP addresses, e.g. 192.168.2.1 (the router);
192.168.2.197 (a working machine on the network); 128.10.34.8 (a
machine administered by a friend).

To me this seems very strange -- I suspect something is wrong with the
pcmcia interface or something.  I would suspect my router, except that
it seems to be working perfectly with the other machines on the
network.

thx,
matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094

The following addresses are for you if you're an evil spambot:
zeus at derailleur.org aardvark at derailleur.org