network cards won't connect

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 23 15:44:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 11:13:09AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> I've justi nstalled ubuntu on a laptop (IBM thinkpad 600E) -- this is
> a lightweight system and will eventuallyrun xfce, but for now I've got
> the default ubuntu-desktop up.  Installation went fine exceptthatthe
> network simply won't configure. I have tried 2 ethernet cards (an IBM
> Etherjet 10/100, and a 3Com 10mbit ).  I've used the latter before
> with no problems on another laptop.  I've also tried using a d-link
> air-plus DWL-650+ WiFi card .
>
> THe installer recognized the wifi card and the ibm etherjet -- I
> didn't try the 3com card atthe time.  But despite the recognition, it
> could not establish an internet connection no matter how I tried the
> configuration (dynamic, static, whatever).

ok, modify htis.  If I set up a static configutation, and sit and let
ping run for long enough (at least 5 minutes) I will get an
intermittent transmission success.  Over 90% packet loss, though, and
not a hgh enough rate to establish an ssh connection, run apt-get
update, or find a web page in any browser.

I have no idea whatthis means, but maybe someone outthere does?

thanks,

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca

zeus at derailleur.org aardvark at derailleur.org