'apt-get' settings via HTTP proxy

Soo-Hyun Choi shchoi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:35:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

I still have some authentication problem with the proxy. I have edited
/etc/apt/apt/conf file containing the following line.

ACQUIRE {
        http::Proxy     "http://<user_id>:<passwd>@<proxy_server>:8080/"
}

What I get after doing 'sudo apt-get update' is as follwos.

soohyunc at apollo:~/download$ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy Release.gpg
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy Release
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/restricted Packages
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Sources
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/restricted Sources
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages
  407 Proxy Authentication Required ( The ISA Server requires
authorization to fulfill the request. Access to the Web Proxy service
is denied.  ) [IP: 149.250.0.254 8080]
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/restricted Packages
  Error reading from server - read (104 Connection reset by peer) [IP:
149.250.0.254 8080]
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Sources
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/restricted Sources
  407 Proxy Authentication Required ( The ISA Server requires
authorization to fulfill the request. Access to the Web Proxy service
is denied.  ) [IP: 149.250.0.254 8080]
Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy/main/source/Sources.gz
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy/restricted/source/Sources.gz
 407 Proxy Authentication Required ( The ISA Server requires
authorization to fulfill the request. Access to the Web Proxy service
is denied.  ) [IP: 149.250.0.254 8080]
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.com
breezy/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.com
breezy/restricted Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_restricted_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

What's the problem with this?

Thank you.