MP3 Files Playing in Every Application Except XMMS

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:47:01 UTC 2005

On 10/20/2005 06:36 PM, Dave M G wrote:

>>	I can play MP3s in Rhythmbox, Quod Libet, and Xine. But I can not play
>>them in XMMS.
>>

>A small addendum. I realized just after posting that I can not play OGG
>files in XMMS either. So it would seem to me a sound settings issue, not
>a file format issue.
>
>But I'm still just as clueless as to what sound problems XMMS would have
>that other media playing applications would not.
>
>Thank you for any advice.
>
>--

My advice? Forget about XMMS. It's too darn tiny to be usable by many
earthlings anyway. ;-)  Oh and to make matters worse, it's got that
nasty GTK1 interface that looked pretty cool in 1995.... ;-)

But if you do have better than 20/20 vision and/or you sit on top of
your monitor I'd suggest BMP (beep-media-player) as it's  a nicer and
newer GTK2 alternative to XMMS (forked by former XMMS programmers who
knew GTK1 was ancient and ugly).

Of course, if you ask me, the best audio app for X is amaroK, bar none
(and yes you can run it in GNOME without installing KDE)!