Trying to get "official" bittorrent application installed

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Fri Oct 21 01:34:23 UTC 2005

(Was: Re: Three Random Simple Questions)

Thank you all for your comments.

What I started out with was the default bittorrent installation that
comes with Ubuntu. Each time I click to download a torrent in FireFox, I
get a super clunky pop up window for downloading. Also, if I opened the
bittorrent gui from the panel, all I got was a slightly slicker but
still lame interface for bittorrents.

Most importantly, when I shut down any of the torrent downloads and then
reopened bittorrent again, I'd have to manually find each torrent file
for each download, and I never knew where the .torrent file was,
although I did know where the file I was downloading was.

So I wanted the standard bittorrent interface. The one with the tsunami
logo on it. The one that keeps track of multiple downloads in one
window. The one that automatically restarts your downloads when you open
it again.

I did try and get this via synaptic, but every combination of bittorrent
related applications never got me this interface.

So I went to the home page for bittorrent, and that's where I am now.

Actually, where I am now is that I went back to Synaptic, tried
downloading the btorrentgui related apps and see if maybe I hadn't
missed something in the first place.

But I'm just back to clunky interfaces. And I've discovered another
annoying thing about these multiple pop ups, as I download some test
torrents. Every time there's some kind of with the tracker, they steal
focus from this email I'm trying to write.

Also, Firefox no longer acknowledges btorrentgui as the default
for .torrent files, despite setting it as the default in the download
options dialogue.

I want the nice, "official" interface. How can I get it?

--
Dave M G