breezy: XKB config error on startup, keymap settings wrong

David M lists2005 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Thu Oct 20 20:03:52 UTC 2005

I've now managed to upgrade from hoary to breezy, however I receive a
(GNOME?) XKB error after I do a graphical login, and my keymap settings
seem to be incorrect.

I'm running KDE (from KDM), but I actually use gnome-terminal for
terminals (amongst other GNOME (and KDE) apps), so this is probably a
mess with both windowing systems settings fighting with each other, but
I did have them behaving tolerably together previously.

After I login, an error window appears, which I assume is generated by
the GNOME settings kicking in as it seems to have the GNOME beige-grey
background rather than the slightly greyer background color of my KDE
windows. The window says:

Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60802000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

Well, as asked for..

- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB

_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc104", "us", "intl",
"compose:ralt,eurosign:e,altwin:meta_win,compose:ralt,eurosign:e,altwin:meta_win"
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc104", "us", "intl",
"compose:ralt,eurosign:e,altwin:meta_win,compose:ralt,eurosign:e,altwin:meta_win"

- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

 layouts = [us_intl,us  intl,us]
 model = pc104
 overrideSettings = false
 options = [altwin      altwin:meta_win,altwin  altwin:meta_win,grp
grp:alts_toggle,compose compose:ralt,eurosign   eurosign:e,Compose key
compose:ralt]

What I *ought* to have is as follows:

Keyboard is US International.

Extended characters are entered using the 'compose' key, which I would
like to set as <right-alt>.

' and " should just be themselves if the compose key is *not* pressed.
(I don't want them to act as dead keys (I think that's the right
terminology?)

Can anybody offer any advice as to how I sort this mess out?

(Right now, I'm having to remember to hit <space> after every ' and ",
and this is /infuriatingly/ annoying when you're not expecting it.. :-( )

Thanks,

David.

--
--|  David M. -- [en, fr, (de)] --  |  reply-to email is valid <365d,  |
--|  Edinburgh, Scotland.           |  but reply-to-list preferred     |