Can't see my Windows partition from within applications

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:24:36 UTC 2005

Dave M G wrote:
> Ubuntu Users,
>
> 	I have a two physical disk drives. On one of them is where I keep my
> Windows NE* partition. It is a FAT 32 format, and I have no trouble
> accessing files and reading and writing to the drive from within
> Gnome/Nautilus.

So, your windows partition is mounted.
> 	However, if I try to access the files from within an application, for
> example XMMS, I can get as far down as the root directory on my
> Linux/Ubuntu drive, but I can not see any other drives.
>
> 	I thought perhaps I would find my Windows drive within /mnt/, but that
> directory is empty.

May be you are looking in the wrong place. Try "cat /etc/mtab" in a
terminal, this will display details about mounted partions. My /etc/mtab is:
/dev/hdc5 /boot ext3 rw,noatime,commit=600 0 0
/dev/mapper/linux_part-home /home ext3 rw,noatime,commit=600 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/NTFS ntfs rw,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hdc2 /mnt/FAT vfat rw,nodev,umask=000,shortname=mixed 0 0
/dev /.dev unknown rw,bind 0 0

as you can see my FAT partition is loaded in /mnt/FAT.