FreeDOS/Ubuntu on HP laptops?

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Thu Oct 20 06:01:34 UTC 2005

Simon Burke wrote:

>I have actualy bought a n series Dell laptop recently, (ie one with no
>OS but a CD of freeDOS chucked i the box, the price is still a little
>more but im happy to pay more if it means it doesnty come with
>windows.

Now, you see, I don't get this... "I'm happy to pay more if it means it
doesn't come with Windows"...

Is this some "kicking against the machine" thing or what? Surely you can
just buy it with Windows and erase the OS?

I can see the idea that as a "protest" one encourages folks like Dell to
create non-Windows machines, but to pay more for them?? That is not
something I'd like to encourage.

It's like saying "Ok! I don't like engines, so Ford I'd like you to do
me a Ka with no engine and I'll put my own in... I'm happy to pay £2000
extra if you'll do it for me."

A machine without an OS should be *cheaper* not more expensive... how do
the companies justify charging more? Micro$oft subsidies or what??!?!

Sean (curious)