Is there an real need to upgrade?

Stephen Chadfield stephen at chadfield.com
Wed Oct 19 20:11:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Walter Vermeir wrote:
> I am now using Ubuntu 5.04.  In general; it works for what i need it
> for.  If I upgrade to 5.10 I am afraid I will need to try to fix a lot
> of things that now works. Browsers-plugins, audio, video-codecs,
> sound-conflicts, or worse, a install disaster and the need for a new
> installation.

If you are happy and the version you are using is still supported with
security patches then just stick with it.

Maybe if you find yourself with time on your hands and the need for
a little adventure you could upgrade later.

I like to partition my Linux machines with two root partitions. One for
the version I am currently using and the other for experiments with the
upcoming version or perhaps another distro entirely. When I am happy with
the setup on my experimental root it becomes the "current" one.

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.chadfield.com/