popularity-contest spyware! :)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 19 00:48:58 UTC 2005

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 03:31:38PM -0400, Jason Straight wrote:
>> I was surprised to see this package while searching for POP daemons
>> with synaptic. While it doesn't really bother me personally I am a
>> little dismayed that such a package would be installed by default w/o
>> users knowing. This is borderline spyware as a standard install.
>
> It isn't, because it's configured not to do anything unless you
> explicitly ask it to do so. It would of course be a bug if it were
> configured to send information by default.

I distinctly recall it being configured when I first installed Ubuntu.  It
had debconf prompts, clearly told me what it was doing (and I _was_
concerned, so investigated and decided I liked the idea), and required me
to choose to have it report.  So I've got no problem with it.

Must be another reason not to use synaptic :-)
--
derek