hoary->breezy upgrade fails on libofx2

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 19 00:55:56 UTC 2005

David M wrote:

> David M wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
>  about: hoary->breezy upgrade fails on libofx2
>
>> I've upgraded my /etc/apt/sources.list accordingly.
>> apt-get dist-upgrade seemed to have fetched everything needed ok, and
>> started the actual upgrade. Everything seemed to proceed ok for a while
>> (apart from perl grumbling noisily about locale settings on every
>> occasion), until it all ground to a halt over libofx2:
>>

>> Unpacking libofx2 (from .../libofx2_1%3a0.8.0-3ubuntu8_i386.deb) ...
>> dpkg: error processing
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/libofx2_1%3a0.8.0-3ubuntu8_i386.deb (--unpack):
>>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/libofx/dtd/opensp.dcl', which is also
>> in package libofx0c102
>> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  /var/cache/apt/archives/libofx2_1%3a0.8.0-3ubuntu8_i386.deb
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>

> <whew>
>
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-October/052895.html
> ..and a bit of pushing and shoving, solves this problem, fortunately.

OK, you're forgiven for not checking the recent posts first :-)

> (It's a bit messy that the newer library doesn't cleanly upgrade over
> the old version automatically by itself, though..

It is.  I'm not sure there's a clean answer for this sort of thing though.
Normally, a library replaces earlier versions of that library, so they can
use the same files.  When you have a need to retain old versions - mostly
caused by ABI upgrades - you need to have completely separate directory
trees, resulting in unwanted redundancy.
--
derek