ROX Desktop

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 23:15:21 UTC 2005

On 18/10/05, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I realize this is not the question you're asking, but in case it
> helps, I wanted to point out that I've had great success lately
> running ROX-filer under XFCE, using the repo at os-works.com. All I
> had to do was add the repo and follow their quick instructions (I
> couldn't install their xfld-desktop package whole, for some reason,
> but installing the pieces separately worked great). This way you get
> the basic goodness of the rox-filer, with the excellent speed and good
> looks of XFCE--I'm a big fan. It brought an ancient (pII 300 mhz)
> laptop I have back to life.

Thanks for the info - and encouragement!

I have played with Xfce before, but I don't really like the
environment. It's still very much like CDE, which I've used on Solaris
and DEC Unix and in the guise of the Launcher applet on OS/2 Warp. I
never liked it very much!

The ROX-Session desktop, on the other hand, is meant to be a
recreation of the Acorn RISC OS GUI under Linux, and as RISC OS is one
of my very favourite GUI OSes ever, I fancy trying it out for a while.
All the Zeroinstall stuff would just be a pleasant extra.

--
Liam Proven · http://livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=lproven
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com · MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk · Skype: liamproven · ICQ: 73187508