ROX Desktop

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 21:44:58 UTC 2005

On 10/18/05, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone using the ROX desktop on Ubuntu?
>
> Not just the ROX-Filer, which is in the universe repository and thus
> very easy, but the desktop environment, controlled by ROX-Session.
>
> I've just spent some time trying to install it on a clean install of
> Breezy, but having got ROX's Zeroinstall system running, it can't
> install ROX-Session. The error message is incomprehensible but seems
> to involve lib-glib-1.0.so being missing.
>
> There is a Debian package of Zeroinstall available, but it won't
> install. Dpkg says it depends upon Python >> 2.4. This puzzles me as
> Breezy includes 2.4.2.
>
> I installed from a tarball instead, adding in the python-dev packages
> and lib-glib-1-1 and lib-glib-1-dev and a whole lot more besides. It
> runs but attempting to Zeroinstall ROX-Session crashes to a halt,
> though smaller packages like ROX Edit and ROX Memo work fine.
>
> I'd welcome any hints, tips or feedback!

I realize this is not the question you're asking, but in case it
helps, I wanted to point out that I've had great success lately
running ROX-filer under XFCE, using the repo at os-works.com. All I
had to do was add the repo and follow their quick instructions (I
couldn't install their xfld-desktop package whole, for some reason,
but installing the pieces separately worked great). This way you get
the basic goodness of the rox-filer, with the excellent speed and good
looks of XFCE--I'm a big fan. It brought an ancient (pII 300 mhz)
laptop I have back to life.