Default to A4 paper in OpenOffice with hp deskjet

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Tue Oct 18 20:21:20 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 21:15, Zach wrote:
> For some reason, whenever I print in OpenOffice on my HP Deskjet 6127,
> it always defaults to A4 paper.  Not being in Europe, I have to set
> this manually to Letter each time.  I have checked everywhere I can
> think of and even set the default to Letter under the settings for the
> printer under System-->Administration-->Printing.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to set this?  Is it an OpenOffice setting?  Is
> it an HP Print driver setting?  I haven't tried any other printer,
> because this is the only one I have.
>
> This has been a problem for me in 4.10, 5.04, and still in 5.10.

The setting comes from a package specifically designed for this, I think:
libpaper.  On debian, it asks, but on ubuntu, it may choose the most common,
which is A4.  It should probably set it based on your locale, but I think
I've seen arguments against that too.  Anyway, look in synaptic, under
packages with debconf, and you should be able to reconfigure libpaper.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com