DWL-650+ functions 50% under Ubuntu 5.10

Bjørn Ingmar Berg bjorn.ingmar.berg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:57:41 UTC 2005

I got a laptop with a D-Link DWL-650+

When I boot from the 5.10 Live CD wlan0 functions flawlessly as soon
as I activate it and enter the WEP-key.  When I boot from 5.10
installed on the harddisk it doesn't work at all.

There is some info and help on this at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WiFiHowto
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DWLG650WiFi
but -alas- it didn't help me.

(In fact I fear it broke something.  After doing "sudo ifdown wlan0"
it (wlan0) disappeared from the list of connections in the GUI utility
as well as from the list ifconfig produces.  Doing "sudo ifup wlan0"
does not bring it back, neither does a reboot.)

The Live CD has to do something different from the installed version.
My guess is that it's using a different driver or possibly the same
driver with different parameters.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar
enough with Linux yet to simply look at the system while running the
Live CD and deduce what I need to do to make the installed version do
the same thing.

What should I do to fix this?

Regards,
Bjørn Ingmar Berg

--
ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben.
Ist easy droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone
mit der spammen und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei
das dumpkopfen! Das mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin
hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.