Breezy upgrade question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 17 19:24:23 UTC 2005

Eamonn Sullivan wrote:

> The problem is that ubuntu-* (base, desktop, etc.) packages *change*
> between versions. Components come and go. What the developers use in
> order to recognize and respond to the insertion of a USB flash-disk
> has changed from Warty to Breezy, for example. If you don't have these
> metapackages installed when you dist-upgrade, you can end up in an
> inconsistent state (the old hotplugging software together with
> software that expects and works with the new hotplugging software).

I don't think so.  215 new packages, 111MB, and nothing that looks like
it'll change hotplugging.  Those are things that _do_ get upgraded in any
rational upgrade plan - the old packages get renamed as metapackages to
force the upgrade path.

> It's certainly not *impossible* to straighten this out yourself, but
> it's isn't dead simple either. I just suggested that installing these
> metapackages, even if they temporarily uninstall some things you like,
> is the *easiest* way to upgrade between major versions. That's all.

Dozens of asian fonts, support for HP printers, raid tools, gstreamer!!, ppp
- these are not things that belong on the average user's desktops.  They're
all specialized apps.

It's a lot simpler to keep working with my existing packages than to try to
figure out how to get rid of most of those 215 packages that are no use.
--
derek