Breezy upgrade question

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Oct 17 23:07:13 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 18:16 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> I'm about to upgrade, but don't quite understand the significance of
> ubuntu-base and ubuntu-desktop
>
> I have read in the wiki BreezyUpgradeNotes that you need to have these
> packages installed, as without them "it is much more likely that you
> will encounter problems during the upgrade."

This is so because because breezy contains additional software compared
to hoary. By installing the ubuntu-* packages it can be made sure that
everything that belongs to breezy is actually installed during the
upgrade. (This is done by making ubuntu-* depend on everything that
belongs to breezy).

If you are unhappy that installing ubuntu-* wants to remove stuff, you
can simply look at the dependencies (e.g. by "aptitude show
ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-base"), and install those that are missing
manually.

Regards, M