Configure problem

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 17 11:37:39 UTC 2005

Eamonn Sullivan wrote:

>On 17/10/05, squareyes <squareyes at internode.on.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>am a relative newbie, and decided to do my first  configure,  make etc.
>>Have aquired a tar from "scribus" and unpacked it to ~/Desktop/scribus
>>the first step has got me confused, do I need to install a "C" compiler,
>>and if so any suggestions.
>>

>You need to install the basic development tools: sudo apt-get install
>build-essential
>
>But, more importantly, why recompile scribus from source when it's
>already available for Ubuntu? Did you enable (comment out in
>/etc/apt/sources.list) the Universe repository? Once you do that,
>
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install scribus
>
>-Eamonn

Thanks to all,
sorry explanations are not my strong point,
have Scribus installed, the tar is a manual file to be attached to
Scribus.( or at least I hope it is :-)   )
"README This Get Started with Scribus tutorial
was written by Niyam Bushan for
Scribus 1.1.6. It has been updated for 1.2.1 and this installer will
work with the 1.2.1 help browser. See included scribustutorial1.html for
more information. The tutorial is released under FDL, licence file is
included."

Have installed build-essential, and got much further, still confused,
results are
squareyes at here:~/Desktop/scribus/freedomyug_en$ ./configure --prefix
/usr/local/
checking for -p flag to install... yes

<snip>

checking for _NSGetEnviron... no
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check
your installation and add the correct paths!
squareyes at here:~/Desktop/scribus/freedomyug_en$

Brain is getting old, still learning. Have the tutorial in html,
so if all else fails will exercise my printer,
Thanks again to all.
Take Care
Winton