md5sum of a burned cd

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 17 17:30:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 09:14:10PM +0800, toylet wrote:
> check the md5sum against the published one.
I'm having trouble with md5sums of cd's I burn -- they seme to be
burning pretty well but the sum is not identical to that of the iso.
I wonder whether I odn't understand md5sum properly?  I do:

cdrecord --dev=ATA:1,1,0 --speed=12 -tao /path/to/breezy.iso
md5sum /dev/hdd /path/to/breezy.iso

md5sum command only works at all when I'm root;
never gives the same 2 hashes for both.

what's up? cd's seem to work fine...

Matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094

The following addresses are for you if you're an evil spambot:
zeus at derailleur.org aardvark at derailleur.org