Limiting Users Altering Desktop

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Oct 17 16:03:31 UTC 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 13:26, Piltdownster wrote:
> We are introducing Ubuntu Linux in a training centre and need to prevent
> users from adding/deleting desktop components/programs etc. Is this
> achievable?

KDE (see Kubuntu) has a pretty comprehensive "kiosk" feature for this.  You
can also write-protect the gconf settings files, I think, but that would be
awkward.  I *think* I recall seeing something a while back on
gnomedesktop.org about a similar kiosk tool for gnome.  Could be mistaken,
though.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com