Firewall

Luis Murillo lmurillo at gmx.net
Mon Oct 17 14:54:01 UTC 2005

Well, remember that IPTables is installed and that can be used. Now if
you don't want to mess with it directly you can use:
- - Firestarter: Easy to use graphical app to configuring IPTables. I use
to have this program installed and my firewall configured with it.
- - Arno's Firewall Script: this is not a graphical front-end but a script
which is easy to configure and very secure, since it's a script you have
to do all of your configuration on a .conf file, like squid and other
software do. I have this one currently installed and I recommend it to
anyone :)
- - Bastille: It's a collection of scripts which are configured using a
graphical front-end or the terminal, it does more than just configure
the firewall.

If you're looking to harden your whole system then use Bastille, if you
want a pretty good firewall configuration then use Arno's Firewall
Script, unless you want a graphical app then use Firestarter. Except for
Arno's Firewall Script, they're on the Ubuntu repos.

Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I got my Breezy machine up and running over the weekend, and I LOVE IT
> --
>
> In digging around a little bit this weekend, I could not find any type
> of firewall listed as being running -- I am a bit leery of leaving an
> exposed machine hanging out on the broadband connection like that, so I
> was wondering where to find / how to configure the firewall for Breezy.
>
> Here at work, I use a hardware firewall to keep things sealed up tight,
> so I have not installed iptables on my fedora servers, so I am afraid to
> admit that im gonna need some references for whatever firewall is in
> use.
>
> Checking the Wiki lead me to several entries that needed built, but
> nothing that contained any useful information other than one entry of
> someone expounding about how a firewall was not needed !!!!
>
> Any suggestions, help etc would be greatly appreciated
>

> Timothy A. Holmes
> IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
>
> Medina Christian Academy
> A Higher Standard...
>
> Jeremiah 33:3
> Jeremiah 29:11
> Esther 4:14

- --
Luis Murillo
lmurillo at gmx.net
Cel: (506) 351-8251
Heredia, Costa Rica

GPG KeyID: D66B35FD
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D66B35FD