How Do I "Enable Kernel Options"?

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Mon Oct 17 13:29:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:45:51PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> 	Of course I searched the Internet for clues about what this meant, but
> I have no been able to determine what exactly it means to "enable kernel
> options", except that it seems to involve rebuilding the kernel.
> 	I've downloaded the kernel source, but I don't know what I should do
> with it.

If you're using Ubuntu, I believe the default kernel already
has the Wacom module compiled. If you do

find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -iregex '.*wacom.*'

you'll probably see a couple files ending in '.ko'. These
are the modules for the Wacom tablet, I believe. To load
them, just do

sudo modprobe wacom

and you should have the appropriate module loaded.

My sense is that it's kind of pointless, in most cases, to
bother with compiling various modules into the kernel. It's
much easier for most users to compile every available driver
as a separate module.

That said, there will come a time when you'll probably need
to bother with kernel tweaking. There was a time when I
spent hours and hours compiling the kernel to get maximum
performance. Now it seems like a waste of effort: just
compile everything as a module and load it when needed.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571