Breezy still thinks its Hoary and won't boot to gdm, kdm etc.

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 09:46:56 UTC 2005

On 17/10/05, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> I changed my sources to breezy, then did:
> sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
> It seemed to go fine, no errors.
>
> When done, I rebooted and noticed all my grub choices were still Hoary.
> So I tried booting each one. All of them end up at a terminal only
> system version 5.04, can't start X.
>
> I poked around and noticed that my changes to sources.list were gone as
> well as my backup of the hoary version I had made. Also peaked at grub
> menu.lst and noticed that it doesn't match what actually comes up at
> all. It looks like a default grub - yet I still have all my choices.
> Almost seemed like I was in a ghost install, yet my custom mounts, etc
> were all there?
>
> Any idea at all? Anyone else had anything like this happen?
>
> Alex

I haven't tried it with aptitude, so not sure what went wrong there.
Maybe aptitude install ubuntu-desktop?

Have you tried it with regular apt-get?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Also, make sure you have ubuntu-desktop install. You can always mess
around with the packages *after* successfully upgrading.

-Eamonn